The Snoqualmie Valley Winter Shelter, operated by the Valley Renewal Center, opened for its 5th season this week in downtown Snoqualmie. The shelter provides overnight shelter to the local homeless during the colder months of the year.
The shelter will operate in three different locations, with the first site being the Snoqualmie Valley United Methodist Church at 38701 SE River Street from November 20, 2016 through January 18, 2017. It will then move on to North Bend at Mount Si Lutheran Church from January 19th – March 4th and at Fall City United Methodist Church from March 5th – April 26th.
The winter shelter accommodates up to 40 adults and accompanied minors with professional staffing at all times. Hours are 8:30PM to 7:30PM, with a 10:30PM curfew. The current day shelter will remain open at the American Legion Hall, 38625 SE River Street, Mondays through Thursdays from 10AM to 2PM.
Last year they served 94 community members, serving over 2700 meals and providing nearly 2000 bed nights. The shelter also helped users access health insurance, social security benefits and new food benefits, access substance abuse and mental health treatment.
For residents with questions about the shelter, Valley Renewal Center will hold two Community Meetings:
- December 6th, 6:30 – 8PM, Mt. Si Lutheran Church, North Bend
- December 11th , 3:30 – 5PM, Mt. Si Lutheran Church, North Bend
If you’re interested in helping out with the Winter Shelter, immediate needs include:
- Volunteers who would be willing to come out and donate some of their time to those in need. People are needed to help out with registering and welcoming guests as they come in and also helping out in the kitchen or dining hall from 8-10pm, during meals that are provided to guests. Upcoming volunteer training sessions will be held from 7-9pm at Snoqualmie United Methodist Church on Monday, Dec 5th and Monday, Jan 2nd. You need only attend one training night. Please contact our Program Coordinator, Trissa Dexheimer, to register.
- Donations of prepared meals are always needed (no training required). Please visit our meal sign-up for more information and to find a day that works for you.
- Please consider donating gently used clothing, shoes and backpacks. A complete list of requested items can be found HERE.
For more information about the Winter Shelter visit www.valleyrenewalcenter.com