The Snoqualmie Sister Cities Association is currently gathering disaster relief donations for Snoqualmie’s sister city of Chaclacayo, Peru, which experienced devastating flooding and mudslides over the past week. Railroad tracks and two main bridges have collapsed into the river and many homes along the river have been destroyed.
Snoqualmie has hosted more than 30 students from Chaclacayo over recent years, many of whom have been directly affected by this disaster.
Tina McCollum of the Snoqualmie Sister Cities Association will be traveling to Chaclacayo in early April with ten others who are able to pack lightweight supplies in their luggage.
Residents are asked to consider donating the following items. You can bring them to the second floor of Snoqualmie City Hall, 38624 SE River Street by March 31st.
- Protective gloves for clearing debris
- Dehydrated food (soup, potatoes, vegetables)
- Diapers and infant socks (gently-used)
- Baby formula in powder form (not liquid)
- Nutritional formula in powder form (not liquid)
- Gallon-size zipper storage bags
- Small plastic drawstring backpacks
Financial contributions are accepted and will be used to buy canned goods upon arrival in Lima. Checks can be made out to Snoqualmie Sister Cities Association and mailed to PO Box 994, Snoqualmie, WA 98065. Please indicate “Disaster Relief” in the memo line. Donations are tax deductible.