Properties Damaged by Recent Storm May be Eligible for Disaster Assistance

Did your property suffer any damages or losses as a result from the storm this past week? If so, you may be eligible for federal disaster assistance through King County as you begin to clean up.

Eligibility is determined through a damage assessment process, which takes into account the total reported losses within King County. In order to compute those losses, individuals and businesses are encouraged to submit a report to King County Emergency Management. Submitting a report does not guarantee reimbursement.

Step 1: Assess and Document the Damage 

  • Identify and make a list of all the damages.
  • Take pictures of the damages.
  • Estimate how much you think it will cost for repairs or to replace your belongings.

Step 2: Call Your Insurance Company

  • Locate your insurance policy documents and call your insurance company.
  • Report the damages. Your insurance carrier will advise you on coverage and additional steps to be taken.
  • If you experience problems with your insurance, you may want to contact the Insurance Commissioner for assistance or to file a complaint: Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner at 1-800-562-6900.

Step 3: File Your Report Online

For more information about filing a report online, please contact the King County Emergency Management at, or 1-800-523-5400 beginning on December 14th. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 10AM to 4PM

Residents in unincorporated King County whose homes were damaged in the storm can obtain free building inspections from the King County Department of Permitting and Environmental Review (DPER). DPER has waived the associated fee to help residents speed up repair to their property. Priority service will be given for damaged structures requiring permits for repair work.

Inspectors will evaluate the integrity of structures, assess if a structure is safe to occupy, and whether a permit is required for repair work. Inspection staff may also advise residents to pursue a more detailed inspection from a licensed structural engineer to determine the full extent of the damage. While storm damage inspections are free, standard permit fees still apply.

To request a damage assessment inspection, please contact DPER at 206-296-6630. Normal business hours are MondayTuesday, Thursday, and Friday, from 7:30 to 11:30AM and 1 to 3PM.

For minor repairs, permits may be issued over the counter at the DPER offices at 35030 SE Douglas St, Suite 210 in Snoqualmie.

Windstorm damage in Riverbend, 12/9/15, captured by drone. Photo: Paul Sprouse
Windstorm damage in Riverbend, 12/9/15, captured by drone. Photo: Paul Sprouse


Comments are closed.

Living Snoqualmie