New Law Requires Snoqualmie Valley Landlords Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors by Jan. 1st

Do you own a Snoqualmie Valley rental property?  If so, you’ve got about three weeks to get carbon monoxide detectors installed in it, or you’ll be in violation of a new state law about to hit the books.

Starting January 1, 2013, state law will require carbon monoxide (CO) detectors to be installed in all existing apartments, condominiums, hotels, motels and single-family residences. This law follows the January 1, 2011 law that requires CO detectors to be installed in all new single-family homes and residences.

According to the Washington State Legislative website, “In the storms that struck Washington in December 2006, it was estimated that over 1,000 people in the state were seen at hospital emergency rooms with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, and eight people reportedly died of carbon monoxide exposure. It is the intent of the legislature to implement policies to prevent similar tragedies from occurring in the future.”

Owner-occupied single-family homes, legally occupied before July 26, 2009, are not required by law to have CO alarms unless and until they are sold.

The new Washington State Carbon Monoxide Alarm Law is part of continued efforts to prevent the loss of life from CO poisoning. Exposure to CO can lead to illness and in some cases death.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous, colorless, tasteless, odorless gas that is generated through the combustion of coal, wood, oil and other petroleum-based fuels such as gasoline and propane. The use of generators, charcoal or gas grills or other fuel burning appliances in enclosed spaces are all common sources for CO poisoning.

Detectors can be purchased at most home improvement retailers and chain department stores, as well as online.

For more information about the new law and safety precautions, a fact sheet is posted on the City of Snoqualmie website under “City News & Information.” You can also visit the Washington State Department of Health Carbon Monoxide info page to learn more.

Comments are closed.

Living Snoqualmie