Here area a few of the calls the Snoqualmie Fire Department responded to during the past two week:
At 10:25AM, Snoqualmie Firefighters and other Eastside units responded to an activated fire alarm at Falls Condos. When they arrived on scene there was nothing showing, no bells or strobes. Firefighters were immediately met by an alarm tech on site, who said they were testing all the systems in the complex and the alarm went off on accident.
At 2:25PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters responded to the Snoqualmie Ridge Golf clubhouse for two subjects stuck in an elevator due to a power outage. The unit arrived and was directed by staff to their location. During the removal evaluation, the power
came back on and the subjects were able to exit the elevator.
At 3:30PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters again responded to a call of an individual stuck in the elevator due to another power outage at the Snoqualmie Ridge Golf clubhouse. The staff stated they received confirmation from Puget Sound Energy prior
to using elevator again. Crews accessed the elevator shaft and power room, secured the elevator power box, then lowered the elevator back down to the service floor by releasing the hydraulic fluid line on the power unit. Firefighters removed a bolt/nut from the actuating arm from the door, releasing the door to be opened and allowing the trapped individual to exit the elevator.
At 10:50AM, Snoqualmie Firefighters along with numerous other Eastside units dispatched to a multiple vehicle collision on SR 18 just east of Issaquah Hobart Rd. The scene was over a quarter-mile-long, requiring multiple units to perform triage. After
evaluating, it was determined there were seven total patients, and six were refusing care. However, four of them were transported to Swedish Medical Center in Issaquah.
At 7:45PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters responded to Snoqualmie Valley Hospital for a 58 year old man experiencing leg pain with an absent pulse in his right leg. The patient had a language barrier and did not speak English. Snoqualmie Valley staff
performed an EKG and believe that he was experiencing a 3rd degree blockage, and requested a transfer to Overlake Hospital Medical Center.
At 11:10AM, Snoqualmie Firefighters were dispatched to an accident between a truck and a motorcycle. When firefighters arrived on scene the found a motorcycle and a white truck blocking traffic, with moderate damage to the front end of the truck from where the motorcycle had hit it. The patient from the truck stated she was not injured and did not need assistance. The motorcycle rider was off the road leaning up against the guard rail, stating he had a sore jaw and had an upper-lip laceration. He was transported to Swedish Medical Center in Issaquah for further evaluation.
At 3:05AM, Snoqualmie Firefighters responded to an activated fire alarm at MOD Pizza. Upon arrival, they found no signs of fire and were met by employees who stated the alarm just went off. A smoke detector in the women’s restroom was found to
have tripped. The system was reset and no other issues were found.
At 4:50PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters were dispatched for a gas spill— fuel was leaking from a small truck in a Ridge business parking lot. Upon arrival, they found a Jeep Cherokee with a small slow leak from the fuel tank. The vehicle owner and another
person had contained and cleaned almost all of the spill. Firefighters assisted and recommended to call a cleanup company and have the vehicle towed, not to drive.
At 6:55PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters were dispatched with other units for a motor vehicle accident on Eastbound I-90. Upon arrival, firefighters blocked three lanes, then assisted with patient extrication. Firefighters also assisted with fuel cleanup that was leaking onto the road. The patient was transported to Snoqualmie Hospital.
At around 3:15PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters and other Eastside units responded to an activated fire alarm at Venture Corp. A malicious fire alarm pull caused the alarm.
At 1:30PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters proceeded to a patient assist call. An elderly man fell on the way to the bathroom and needed assistance getting down the stairs. He had been on the floor since the morning, however had no complaint of any injuries. The crew assisted him to a standing position and then used a stair chair to help him down the stairs and to a couch where his son wanted him.
At 6:05PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters responded to an activated fire alarm at a North Bend business. There was a water-flow alarm on the sprinkler/alarm system. Nothing was found other than a dry system that went wet and a malfunctioning alarm
panel that would not light up. An alarm tech was called.
At 9:20AM, Snoqualmie Firefighters were dispatched to a local business where a fire alarm had been activated. While en route, firefighters were informed a contractor was onsite doing work and believed dust set off the system. Firefighters arrived to find
the building evacuated, with no signs of the alarm sounding. The crew was met by a safety team who confirmed the dust had set off the system, and they had already reset the alarm. Firefighters instructed the occupant to not reset alarms prior to fire arriving to help identify the problem.
At 12:05PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters were dispatched to the Snoqualmie Self Storage for a fire alarm called in by the alarm company. Upon arrival, firefighters found the building evacuated with no signs of fire. The manager was unaware as to what
might have set it off, and could not see signs of fire. Firefighters investigated and found a tripped head in the hallway of the main building with no obvious problem. The system was reset and turned over to the manager with instructions to contact the alarm company and have a tech examine the system.
At 7:45PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters responded to Snoqualmie Self Storage for a second fire alarm of the day by the alarm company. The crews arrived to find no signs of fire and the business appeared to be closed. There were no employees on location. Firefighters reset the alarm.
At 9:10PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters were dispatched to the Snoqualmie Safeway initially for a reported hazardous incident with an odor reported inside of the structure. The caller stated the odor was some sort of chemical, and located near the
center of the store. The caller advised she could also hear an alarm going off in the background but was unable to determine where or what it was. Upon arrival, crews found the grocery store evacuated and the store manager was unaware of any chemical odor. She thought the fire department was there for the fire alarm (no fire alarm signal had been received). After speaking to several employees, they advised there was a chemical smell in the center of the store near the meat
department, and there also happened to be construction going on in the meat department doing floor repair. In addition, the alarm panel showed a women’s restroom smoke detector activated. Upon investigation, there were no obvious signs of any chemical activity in or near the meat department, and the contractor was using proper dust collection. The women’s
restroom had no obvious signs of fire or smoke. The restroom had no air flow returning into it, so was not tied to the issue chemical odor report. Alarm system was reset, and the store was cleared to be re-opened.
At 12:30AM, Snoqualmie Firefighters responded to a report of a dumpster fire at the Community Park behind the Snoqualmie YMCA. The initial report advised of a trash can on fire, with juveniles leaving the area after using fireworks. Firefighters arrived to find two fires burning on the premises, one on the play structure, causing damage to a slide and the playground matting beneath it. The second fire was in a trash can at the south end of the parking lot. The firefighters split crews and extinguished both fires. The trash can was a total loss, and the play structure was limited to one slide and the playground mat beneath it. After extinguishing, it was apparent the fires were incendiary in nature. A fresh bag of firecrackers was on the path between the fires. A witness stated they saw three juveniles playing with fireworks prior to the fire beginning, and one juvenile took something that appeared to be on fire and place it inside the trash can. Fire loss was estimated at $5,000 and scene was turned over to the King County Sheriff’s Office for investigation.
At 3:30AM, Snoqualmie Firefighters were dispatched to a home on the ridge where a fire alarm had been activated. Upon arrival, a faulty smoke detector was found. The homeowner was advised to purchase a new one.
At 9:50AM, Snoqualmie Firefighters responded to a residence reporting a smell of electrical smoke. Nothing was found and the homeowner was advised to contact an electrician.
At 10:45AM, two Snoqualmie Firefighter units responded to a reported vehicle fire on SR18 near I-90. It was reported that all occupants were out of the vehicle with flames visible. Firefighters arrived and found the vehicle parked on the side of the road with heavy smoke coming from the front. Washington State Patrol was already on scene. The fire, which was limited to under the dashboard and inside the engine compartment, was extinguished. The driver informed firefighters that he was driving the vehicle down Tiger Mountain when his check engine light came on. While coming up the hill from Raging River, the
vehicle stalled and began to smoke. The vehicle coasted to a stop and smoke increased. Passengers evacuated the vehicle and then noticed it was on fire. While the fire was contained to the engine compartment and under the dashboard, the
vehicle damage was estimated at $9800, making it a total loss. There were no injuries, and the scene was turned over to Washington State Patrol to assist with getting a tow for the vehicle.
[ ** In addition to the above calls, Snoqualmie EMTs responded to 26 medical aid incidents bringing the total number of calls to date to 515 **]