City to Host March 15 Community Meeting on Recent House Fires Linked to Lithium-ion Batteries

The City of Snoqualmie will host a community meeting on Wednesday, March 15, 2023, at 7 pm at the Snoqualmie Community Center/YMCA, 35018 SE Ridge Street, to discuss recent home fires linked to lithium-ion batteries.  

The meeting is an opportunity for residents to ask questions and learn more about the recent fires that occurred between March 8-10 in a Snoqualmie Ridge home, as well as safety tips for these commonly used batteries. 

Snoqualmie Fire Chief Mark Correira, City Administrator Mike Sauerwein, and Mayor Katherine Ross will attend to provide information and answer questions. Additionally, the meeting will be streamed live on the Snoqualmie Fire Dept. Facebook page.

The Snoqualmie Fire Dept. responded to three fires in the same Snoqualmie Ridge home between March 8 and March 10, 2023. The preliminary cause of all fires was cited as lithium-ion batteries. The batteries were used to power outdoor home maintenance equipment.

The first two fires were contained to the home’s garage. Unfortunately, the third fire significantly damaged the front of the home. No one was injured in these fires. 

Following the second fire on March 10, the damaged batteries, along with other damaged garage contents, were placed in the middle of the home’s driveway, away from anything flammable, until a restoration company could complete the cleanup process. 

The preliminary fire investigation for the third fire indicated the fire-damaged batteries and damaged garage contents were outside the garage on the driveway when the fire started Friday night around 8 pm.

Lithium-ion batteries are very common, supplying power to many devices, including smartphones, laptops, e-scooters and e-bikes, yard maintenance equipment, and even cars. They can catch fire or explode if damaged or used incorrectly.

Here are some important lithium-ion battery safety tips:

  • Purchase and use devices that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory.
  • Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Only use the battery that is designed for the device.
  • Put batteries in the device the right way.
  • Only use the charging cord that came with the device.
  • Do not charge a device under your pillow, on your bed, or on a couch.
  • Do not keep charging the device or device battery after it is fully charged.
  • Keep batteries at room temperature when possible. 
  • Do not charge batteries at temperatures below 32°F (0°C) or above 105°F (40°C).
  • Store batteries away from anything that can catch fire 

To watch the March 15, 2023, Community Meeting online, visit the City of Snoqualmie Fire Dept. Facebook page:

To submit questions before the meeting, please email

[Information provided by the City of Snoqualmie]

Comments are closed.

Living Snoqualmie