Be Careful With Your Fireworks This 4th of July; Man Half-Blinded From Firework Accident Last Night

It’s my least favorite part of the 4th of July holiday and the biggest reminder of the danger fireworks hold: news of fireworks-related injuries.  This year is proving to be no different from others with regards to reported injuries.

According to Komo News, a man in his 20’s was lighting an aerial firework when it exploded near his face around 11PM last night in Puyallup’s South Hill area.  The seriously injured man was rushed to Harborview Medical Center for chest and facial injuries and doctors say he lost vision in one eye.

Some fireworks are legal in King and Pierce Counties, but Randy Stephens of Central Pierce Fire and Rescue says the man was most likely using an illegal firework.

Please be extra careful with your fireworks today.  Please, please remind your kids to do the same.  For a breakdown on the legalities of fireworks in Snoqualmie Valley click HERE.

Here are some great safety tips from the City of North Bend

Before you light fireworks — be prepared:

  • Purchase only legal fireworks, available at approved stands.
  • Talk with family members and guests about laws in your area.
  • Place pets indoors; they may become frightened.
  • Keep a bucket of water nearby to place used fireworks inside.
  • Have a water hose or fire extinguisher nearby to put out any stray sparks from fireworks.
  • Know the emergency number to call for your area, your home address/location, and basic first aid.

When lighting fireworks — be safe:

  • To prevent injuries, never throw fireworks and never hold fireworks in your hand.
  • Follow family boundaries, only a designated adult should light all fireworks.
  • Light one at a time, move away quickly, and keep at a safe distance until the display is finished.
  • Use only outdoors, away from anything that can burn.

Even legal fireworks can be dangerous.  Alarming statistics show children between the ages of 6-11 years old account for the highest percentage of fireworks injuries each year.  Something as simple as a sparkler burns at 1800 degrees.  Too often, “safe and legal” fireworks end up in the hands of young children who may be unsupervised, resulting in injuries.

Speak Your Mind

*

%d bloggers like this: